Medical News Today chooses diets that fit the following criteria:
- Weight loss: MNT only chooses weight loss diets that are backed by scientific evidence.
- Healthy eating habits: MNT only chooses diets that promote healthy eating habits and do not ask people to severely restrict their calories or promote disordered eating.
- Sustainability: MNT only chooses diets that are sustainable to follow for the time it takes for a person to reach their weight goal.
- Nutritional quality: MNT only chooses diets that meet the average person’s nutritional needs.
The NIDDK also states a person should choose a weight loss program that includes:
- lifestyle counseling
- guidance about sleep, stress, and the pros and cons of weight loss medication
- feedback and monitoring through the weight loss program
- realistic weight loss goals and plans
People should avoid diets that severely restrict calories unless they are under the supervision and recommendation of a doctor. People should also avoid diets that promise fast, unsustainable results within a short period of time, and ones that do not offer a mix of all the macro- and micronutrients a person needs.
People can choose from a variety of low carb diet plans. Each diet has its own rules for how many carbs a person can consume per day. There are
- Very low carb diets: A person consumes 20–50 grams (g) of carbohydrates per day or carbs make up less than 10% of total daily calories.
- Low carb diets: A person consumes fewer than 130 g of carbohydrates per day or carbs make up less than 26% of total daily calories.
How it works
A low carb diet reportedly works by reducing the body’s dependence on carbs for energy. The low carb model can help rapidly reduce weight for the first
There are potential downsides to eating a low carb diet. According to
Point-based dietary programs offer a simple points system for keeping track of food intake.
How it works
Point-based dietary programs assign a simple numerical value to each food. In most programs, a person is allowed to eat or drink a certain number of points per day.
Learn more about WW (formerly Weight Watchers) here.
However, a person should follow a points-based system consistently to get the best results.
A points-based diet can be overwhelming for some people. A person needs to keep track of all the foods they eat and determine how many points remain after each day. Additionally, not all programs are the same, as some may be more effective than others.
Meal replacement diets come in different varieties. Some, such as the Health Management Resources Program, provide premade meal replacements and shakes. Others may only replace a single meal with a shake or other food replacement.
How it works
The goal of meal replacement diets is to create a calorie deficit to promote weight loss. Meals come in the form of frozen or prepackaged and measured meals or shakes.
According to researchers at the University of New Mexico, meal replacement diets can be an effective weight loss strategy. Their study suggests that even replacing one high calorie meal with a reduced calorie meal per day can help promote weight loss.
Prepackaged meals and programs can be expensive for some people. Others might find it hard to maintain eating only premade meals or shakes.
Another downside is that many of these meals have low quality ingredients, preservatives, and generally lack balance. Some diet plans may require the addition of fruits and vegetables.
People may also find it challenging to transition back to a regular diet, and the program should try to address this transition.
Dietitian Marla Heller originally developed the DASH diet to support people living with diabetes and blood pressure conditions.
This diet focuses on vegetables, fruits, and nutrients. According to a
How it works
According to the
- eating fish, poultry, nuts, vegetable oils, beans, and low fat dairy
- eating vegetables, whole grains, and fruits
- limiting sugary drinks and foods
- avoiding foods high in saturated fats
The program also offers specialized instructions for those seeking to lose weight.
According to Harvard Health Publishing, some potential issues with the DASH diet include:
- People living with food allergies may need to make modifications to the diet.
- People are responsible for creating and regulating their own food and meals.
- The potential for a person to develop gas and bloating due to the high fiber content.
- The DASH diet food lists are not comprehensive.
A person can choose from many home-based exercise programs. Many of them focus on different areas, and each may be more effective for some people.
How it works
Home-based exercise programs provide guided exercise through videos. Some come in physical media formats, while others are available through streaming services.
According to an older
Not all programs will work for everyone. A person should research programs that fit their goals and needs.
One downside of home exercise is that some people may find it hard to maintain their motivation to follow the program’s activities and recommended diet regimen.
The following table compares the weight loss programs in this article.
Below, we answer some common questions.
What is the most effective type of weight loss program?
There is no weight loss program that is best for everyone. People should consider the type of diet the program offers, the amount of support and guidance available, and whether they can easily find the food the diet tells them to eat.
A person may wish to discuss with a healthcare professional to find out which is the best weight loss program for them. Alternatively, people may wish to trial several different programs.
Can a woman lose 20 pounds in a month?
The CDC says that individuals who lose a maximum of 1–2 pounds per week are more likely to maintain their weight loss.
What is the fastest way for a female to lose weight?
According to the CDC, the maximum amount of weight a person should lose per week is 1–2 pounds. Therefore, depending on how much weight a person wants to lose, it may take several weeks to months to reach their goal.
Find out more about losing weight quickly here.
A person’s age, gender, race, starting weight, and other factors can influence how effective a weight loss program will be. The weight loss programs in this article are suitable for females, but not specifically for females only. Anyone can follow and benefit from them.
A person should not expect immediate results from starting a program. It can take several weeks or months to see weight loss results. People should also note that a weight loss program is not a long-term solution or replacement for a healthful diet and regular exercise.
Before starting any weight loss program, a person should talk with their healthcare professional.